Stevens Point Orthopedics is looking for a Medical Assistant to join our team. Upon hire, you would experience a work environment where compassion and expertise come together to provide the highest standard of quality healthcare! Our clinic offers a newly remodeled workspace with a superb work environment. The SPO motto—World Class Treatment…Hometown Care—resonates throughout the walls as patients and staff alike are treated like family. In addition to the fun-spirited and accepting environment, you would also receive a full benefits package that would include paid time off, health, dental, vision, short- and long-term disability, life insurance and a generous 401K package. We’d love for you to join our team and provide our patients and the community with outstanding healthcare.
Job Title: Certified Medical Assistant
Scheduled Weekly Hours: 20 – 40
Employee Type: Full or Part Time
Work Shift: Mon-Fri; 7:30 am – 5:00 pm
Seniority Level: Entry
The Certified Medical Assistant functions as an important member of the healthcare team and is responsible for patient care under the direction of a physician or licensed healthcare provider. The individual performs in a manner consistent with Stevens Point Orthopedics’ mission, policies, and initiatives while maintaining patient confidentiality at all times.
Essential Job Functions
- Room patients; obtain vitals, patient medical, social, family history and chief complaint.
- Communicate any clinic delays to front desk staff to proactively manage wait times.
- Assist patients in completing new patient forms, enter into the EMR and send for scanning.
- Process telephone messages, return calls to patients in timely manner and accurately chart conversations.
- Schedule tests, procedures, rechecks, post op appointments and referrals to other facilities and track results.
- Clean/straighten exam rooms between patients; dispose contaminated supplies in accordance with OSHA standards.
- Prepare for clinic by stocking exam rooms and cast room with necessary supplies.
- Follow prescription refill procedures and standing protocols.
- Maintain patient records confidentially.
- Initiate orders and, on occasion, complete prior authorizations for surgeries, injections, and high-end images.
- Maintain exam rooms: supplies/ laundry/ etc.
- Simple wound management, cast removal and application, brace fittings..
- Assist with in-office procedures, which may include sterile technique.
- If pertinent, schedule surgical cases with accuracy and efficiency and coordinate all aspects of the cases.
- Assist the provider with patient education pertaining to ongoing health care:
- Results of lab and x-ray reports
- Lab and radiology preparation
- Surgery education
- Prepare for clinic by doing chart preparation, review and enter data for Quality measures.
- Assist other providers and peers when needed.
Additional Job Functions
- Must be able to recognize and respond appropriately to urgent situations per protocol.
- Maintain work area, exam rooms, supplies, medications and immunizations.
- Perform basic triage per specific office protocol procedures.
- Maintain professional appearance and personal conduct at all times.
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships with physicians, staff and management.
- Effectively cope with typical job stress.
- Document work processes as required.
- Prepare for patient appointments by reviewing and updating patient records prior to appointment. This includes checking for updates of recent lab results, image results, and correspondence.
- Assist physician, physician assistant or nurse upon request during examination of patient and according to generally accepted medical standards. Practice universal precautions with respect to established safety protocols. Facilitate appropriate communication between provider(s) and patient as needed.
- Utilize time in a constructive and efficient manner by assisting in such duties as restocking—shelves, trays, laundry—checking supplies and ensuring that all areas are clean and orderly.
- Perform general clerical duties in support of patient services according to needs of clinic and as directed by RN Clinic Supervisor and providers: scanning, faxing, copying, laundry, prior authorization, medical records, chart prepping, etc…
Minimum Required: Graduate of a Medical Assistant program with AAMA or RMA, certified required OR Licensed Practical Nurse (LPN) license awarded by the State of Wisconsin.
Minimum Required: Basic Life Support (BLS) certification awarded by the American Heart Association (AHA) within three months of hire and one of the following:
- Certified Medical Assistant (CMA) certification awarded by the American Association of Medical Assistants (AAMA)
- Registered Medical Assistant registration from the American Medical Technologist (AMT)
- Licensed Practical Nurse (LPN) license awarded by the State of Wisconsin.
Stevens Point Orthopedics strives to exceed expectations by providing exceptional patient care in a pleasant and caring atmosphere. We believe that teamwork, flexibility, mutual trust and cooperation are essential to healthcare delivery. Successful applicants will share our values and put the needs of patients and customers first.
Stevens Point Orthopedics is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, race, color, religion, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, age, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Interested applicants please email your resume and cover letter to email@example.com.